Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Mt. Icing

I went to a local diner with my parents last Friday (See my yelp review here). I had already eaten dinner but figured I could grab dessert while they ate. I surveyed the dessert counters and settled on Mt. Icing.

1.) Because I love red velvet for the cream cheese icing (who doesn’t)
2.)Who could resist a cupcake the size of my head piled with enough icing to cover Mt. Rushmore?

Ultimately it took me three sittings to finish this cupcake. Some at the diner, dessert after dinner the next night and lunch the day after that. Believe it or not, it was best on the third day. It stayed moist and the candied walnuts were quite tasty. I had at least a 1/3 of the icing mountain left over too.

My only complaint? The cream cheese icing was made with way too much butter. Good cream cheese icing doesn’t need much butter. Therefore I’m going to skip sharing the Mastoris recipe and give you my favorite straight from the Philadelphia box:

Ingredients
1 pkg. (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
1 pkg. (16 oz.) powdered sugar (about 4 cups), sifted
BEAT cream cheese, butter and vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended.
ADD sugar gradually, beating until well blended after each addition.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails