Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Mooo-ve on over, its a Dairy Free Birthday Cake!

I have a coworker who is deathly allergic to all dairy and shellfish. He is so allergic that even stirring a spoon in a pot that contains dairy and then using that spoon on a nondairy pot sends him the hospital for days!
Today was his birthday and not the first time I've taken on the endeavor of baking for him. However, this is the first time I'm traveling for work and have to bake out of a hotel room with no supplies. Another coworker and I found a dairy free yellow cake mix and chocolate icing mix by Cherrybrook Kitchen and used the hotel stove. I doctored the icing to use the mix, vanilla soy milk, powdered sugar and peanut butter.


The cake turned out pretty darn good if I say so myself. The key to any good birthday cake is a moist cake and superb icing. You could definitely tell the cake mix contained rice flour versus cake flower, but it was nice and moist due to a tad bit of extra canola oil. The icing turned out great because peanut butter can make anything taste good! The whole team in the office was pleasantly surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails